The City of Medford Engineering Division’s responsibilities are to:
- Provide project management for the City’s capital improvement projects, including water, sewer and drainage projects, street and sidewalk reconstruction. The Engineering Division provides and coordinates the design, estimates, specifications and inspections for these projects.
-Issue permits to owners, developers and private utilities companies for street opening work and curb cuts
- Issue permits to licensed drain layers for installation of new water, sewer and drain services, and repair of existing services within the public right-of-way; Application for Permit
-Inspect construction and repair of roadways, sidewalks and water, sewer and drain infrastructure within the City right-of-way;
-Review and comment on proposed private development site plans and coordinate with other City departments, such as the Office of Community Development, the Building Department etc to ensure compliance to City standards;
-Maintain record plans, drawings, field books and other records for all public infrastructure, including street acceptance plans, water, sewer and drain plans, benchmarks lists, flood zones plans, Assessor’s plans, parks, cemeteries, public buildings, etc;
-Provide land surveyors, engineers, architects, consultants and contractors with information about the City’s infrastructure, standards and policies;
-Field locate utility structures for the City's Geographic Information System (GIS) creation;
- Provide engineering support to other City departments, including the production of maps and plans;
-Work and coordinate with the Energy and Environment Office to execute
- Coordinate and work with the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) for compliance and reports generation.
- Administer in co-operation with the Water and Sewer Division the City’s Lead Service Line Replacement Program.
REMINDER: BEFORE YOU DIG- CALL DIG SAFE!